Subject: ACM A.M.Turing Award Nomination Query
From: Bob Armstrong <[email-masked]>
To: Jade Morris <"jade.morris\""@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:30:43 -0600

I want to nominate Chuck Moore , creator of Forth 
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Moore> , for the Turing . I 
consider him the most consequential language designer not yet honored .

I've lived my adult life in Ken Iverson's APL 
<https://amturing.acm.org/award_winners/iverson_9147499.cfm> . Ken was 
awarded the Turing in 1979 for " Notation as a Tool of Thought " , 
simplifying and generalizing the notation of matrix algebra into 
succinct executable expression .

Chuck Moore , at the other end of the language spectrum -- simplifying 
and opening the path from the processor to a dictionary capable of 
extending itself --  is to me the Iverson's complement on the ` silicon 
end .

The  ACM amturing.acm.org/call_for_nominations 
<https://amturing.acm.org/call_for_nominations.cfm> page lists " 
December 15, 2022 " as the Next Deadline .  ( I happened to know 
Geoffrey Hinton , one of the current winners , when he spent some time 
at Northwestern decades ago . )

I do hope the award is still active .  I would love to hear what Chuck 
would put together as his talk .

Is that date simply moved forward a year ?

Thanks for your response ,

Bob A

Peace thru Freedom
Honesty enforced thru Transparency ,
<http://cosy.com/> 	
-- [email-masked] -- Bob Armstrong Vita 
<https://www.cosy.com/BobA/vita.htm> -- 719.337.2733
*/CoSy/* <https://cosy.com/>The Simplest Most ` Powerful Personal 
Computing Environment

/I reserve the right to post all communications I receive or generate to 
CoSy website for further reflection /

-- 28124 State Highway 67 Woodland Park CO 80863-9711